Monday, June 17, 2013

Joseph O. Holmes



Joseph O. Holmes’s photographs have hung in solo and group shows around the world. Among other awards, Joe has been honored with a Curator's Commendation at the Houston Center for Photography, first prize in MPLS Photo Center's 2010 Portraits Exhibition, Honorable Mention in the Silver Eye Gallery's Fellowship Competition, Honorable Mention in the PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris Competition, and Honorable Mention in the Photographic Center Northwest's 12th Annual Competition. He has been a Top 50 and Finalist in Critical Mass/Photolucida and twice invited to the Review Santa Fe juried portfolio review. Joe is represented by Jen Bekman Gallery, New York NY.

View more of Joseph's work here 


The Booth Project Statement 

Ever since I first starting going to the movies, I’ve been intrigued by the tiny windowed room above the audience. I imagined a projectionist threading film into a complicated maze of wheels and sprockets, or splicing trailers under the dim light of an editing table, or maybe even staring back at me from the shadowy recesses.

I knew that someday I’d set aside the time to explore and shoot projection booths. But in 2011 the mission became urgent when I discovered that theaters were under pressure to replace film projection with digital. The quaint booths familiar from films like Sherlock Junior and Cinema Paradiso were being replaced with a laptop connected to a box with a lens. For the past couple of years I've carried my camera into those rooms, capturing the strange beauty of the machines and tools and faces of the last remaining film projection booths.







No comments:

Post a Comment