Monday, February 29, 2016

Kaitlin Obermeyer


Kaitlin Obermeyer's work investigates the lives of seniors and the elderly that live alone. Cultural traditions and different ways of life are often revealed in the objects represented in homes. She is interested in learning about the remarkable experiences people have through the process of making photographs. Kaitlin is currently studying photography and strategic communication at the University of Kansas.  



Artist Statement: Doris

This is grandma Doris. Until now, my family has never made a single picture of her. She has lived alone for the past 20 years in the same house that she has had since 1952. Collecting artifacts for 63 years and none of it has ever left. Aging and loneliness will do peculiar things to you. I am exploring the unknown territory of old age and the changing mind. I am particularly drawn to the widowed. I never met either of my grandfathers and have only known my grandmothers to be alone. I chose to focus solely on my own grandmother because I am able to get a more pure version of her. The more time I spend with her, the more I become aware of the changes in her mentality. This project is constantly changing and evolving the more she lets me into her mind.





















1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Kaitlin! Great photo program at the University of Kansas!

    ReplyDelete